Google Device Integration
To navigate to our Google Device Integration, please go to Settings >Integrations > Google Device Integration
Here are some high level notes before we get into the steps of the integration setup:
- IMPORTANT! Because of the technical knowledge required, your district’s IT administrator (or someone with a similar role) will most likely need to perform this procedure and setup your Service account
- Once the Google device integration is active, you will see a green banner message posted on the top of the page (see screenshot below).
- The Google device integration will auto sync every 24 hours.
- Once the Google Device is synced in, the asset in ML Work Orders can not be edited so the asset will always match data from the Google Admin Console.
Step 1: Create a New Service Account within the Google API Console (Required for this integration)
1. Visit Google API Console → https://console.developers.google.com
2. Select the New Project button
3. Name the project MasterLibrary SSO
4. Select the Create button
5. Select the newly created project from the Select a project dropdown at the top of the page.
6. Select the Library menu item on the left side of the page.
7. On the “Search for APIs & Services” box, type Admin SDK.
8. Select Admin SDK from the results.
9. Select the ENABLE button.
10. Click on the navigation menu icon (three horizontal lines) at the top left corner, and select APIs & Services → Credentials
11. Select + CREATE CREDENTIALS
12. Select Service Account
13. Type in the Service Account name and optionally service account description.
14. Select the CREATE button.
15. Select the CONTINUE button.
16. Select the DONE button.
17. Click on the Email link
18. Select the ADD KEY button and then select Create new key.
19. A pop window will appear. Ensure that the JSON option button is selected (this button is already selected as a default option).
20. Select the CREATE button
21. A JSON file will be downloaded and saved to your computer. Select the Close button.
22. Select the SAVE button.
Step 2: Domain-wide delegation to the Service Account (Required for this integration)
1. Open a new browser window and enter https://admin.google.com/ac/owl
Note : A user with Google super administrator role is required to perform this task.
2. Select MANAGE DOMAIN WIDE DELEGATION
3. Select the Add new button
4. Open the JSON file that was downloaded
5. Copy the number corresponding to the "client_id"
6. In the popup window, paste the Client ID number and enter the following scopes on each line.
7. Select the AUTHORIZE button
Step 3: Connection Tab within ML Work Orders
Each field on the Connection tab includes a note that includes more context of what or where to find the information.
- Enter Google Super Administrator Email Address.
- Enter Google Customer Id.
- Upload the Service Account Json File.
- Select Save button below to confirm the information entered for the connection.
- Once saved button is selected, a notification message will display letting you know to click the "test" button to verify the service account credentials
- Select the Test button to test the connection.
- If successful test, you will see a "Test is successful" message prompt on the page.
- Select Next button to begin the Mapping part of the integration.
Step 4: Field Mapping Tab within ML Work Orders
This tab will allow you to map google device custom field (AssetID, Location, User and Notes) to a select listing of ML Work Order Fields.
Mapping Fields is optional with this setup, but it can be beneficial in certain cases.
- For example, the assigned user on a device can change frequently in the google admin console and you want ML Work Orders to stay up to date with those changes, or if you are looking to leverage the AssetID in fields like Asset Name and/or Barcode!
- Select as many MLW fields you would like to map to a single google device field.
- Note: You can not map one more than one google device field to the same ML Work Order Field. For Example, Mapping google device custom fields, "Notes" and" Location" to ML Work Order field "Description" is not allowed.
- Select the "Next" button on the bottom right of the page to proceed to the "Status Mapping" Tab.
Step 5: Status Mapping Tab within ML Work Orders
This tab will allow you to map any Google device status options to our MLW Status options. This way, when you update Google device statuses in your Google admin console, you don't need to perform this same action in MLW.
- Please select and map all applicable MLW Statuses and Google device statuses.
- NOTE: you dont need to have a corresponding mapping for each Google device status, just the statuses that you'd like to have MLW update automatically.
- The Active column will default to being checked for each Google device status. Unchecking this for any Google device status will inactivate the asset in MLW if the Google Device has that status.
- Once you map at least one Google device status to one MLW status, you can select the "next" button to move onto the "Sync Data" tab.
Step 6: Sync Data Tab within ML Work Orders
In this tab you will be able to sync in Google devices via Organizational Units (OUs) into MLW.
Adding Organizational Units (OUs)
- Select the "Add OU" blue button on the top right of the grid.
- A window will display where required information needs to be filled out for the OU to be synced into MLW.
- Enter an OU name (REQUIRED).
- This needs to be an exact match of the OU name in the Google admin console.
- Enter a Description (Optional).
- This is just to add more context for the OU
- Select a Building (REQUIRED).
- In MLW this will be the assigned building for all devices in this OU.
- Select a Space (REQUIRED).
- In MLW this will be the assigned space for all devices in this OU.
Information on the Sync Data Grid
- Organization Unit name.
- Description of Organization Unit.
- Device Count
- Total number of synced devices within the OU.
- The MLW Building the Organizational Unit is synced to.
- The MLS Space the Organizational Unit is synced to.
- Last Sync Date
- Last synced date of the Organizational Unit.
- Sync Data
- This would give you the ability to perform a manual sync of the OU into MLW. This can be helpful if you made any recent changes to an existing synced OU and you'd prefer to see the updates in MLW before the 24 hour sync occurs.
- This would allow you to edit the synced OU.
- Inactivates the OU and prevents any sync updates to all associated asset records on a go-forward basis.
- Sync Data
Asset Creation in ML Work Orders
- The integration keys in on the serial number of the Google device to uniquely identify the device.
- If the integration finds a match on the serial number, it will update the existing ML Work Order asset record with the information from the Google device, otherwise it will make a brand new asset record
- The integration will bring over the devices as Chromebook, Chromebox or Chromebase Asset Types based on the model of the device.
Google Device Field Display in ML Work Orders
The following areas will display the remaining google fields synced in ML Work Orders:
- Assets -> View All Assets - there will be a Google Icon () on the right side of the row.
- Assets -> View All Assets -> Selecting Asset Name link. On the main asset page there will be a Google icon () to the right of the Asset Name (top left of page).
Selecting the icon at either location will open up a modal with all available google device fields and their associated values.